Salix upgrade 14.0 to 14.1

I haven't used my Salix some month... lately because "let's upgrade before...". Or, to put it differently - after Slackware-proper is installed with all custom adds, then there is really no reason to go for 'easy'. Because tuned Slack is easy, and one finds gslapt kinda... strange.
So much of philosophy.

Essential links for how-to-upgrade: salix and slackware.
How I did it, in my Openbox Salix, step by step:

1. New sources: swap 14.0 to 14.1 in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc and slapt-srcrc
2. slapt-get -i xfce4-terminal
The name of the terminal changed, back to proper one. It's sensible to install now, and also change links in your menu.xml and rc.xml (and don't forget tint launcher).
3. ls /var/log/packages/ker*
Get the list of installed kernel packages.
4. slapt-get -i kernel-xxx
Swap out everything (needed part is like 'kernel-headers', and NO numbers). Here is the point to decide: IF writing kernel files over OR installing paralel (can be accomplished with 'installpkg precise-packagename'. I decided to overwrite because I already knew (from Slackware upgrade) that new kernel works in my machine.
5. /usr/share/mkinitrd/ -k 3.10.17
This gives you proper command for creating initrd, in my case it was:
mkinitrd -c -k 3.10.17 -f ext4 -r /dev/sdb2 -m mbcache:jbd2:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd-generic-3.10.17.gz
Initrd name I changed, as I wanted it to be more informative.
6. update-grub or lilo -v
To get your boot-manager aware of kernel change.

7. Now I went to console, logged as root and did 'telinit 3', then:
slapt-get -i glibc
slapt-get -i slapt-get
slapt-get --upgrade
slapt-get -i udev
There was a PILE of warnings about symlinks and folders and whatnot... But for me, afterwards, everything came out OK.

8. If using proprietary driver (whitch you downloaded before):
NVIDIDA: sh --kernel-name='3.10.17'
Let it install and create xorg.conf too.


My desktop came up without any problems.
Then I started to check EVERY installed app:
- compton needed recompile (missing lib).
- clementine did not start, I reinstalled and then it wanted additional libary - chromaprint, I got it from sbo.
- qbittorrent not starting but upgrading to latest available version from Salix repo fixed it.

Everything else seems to work.
Unpleasant surprise for me was that 'custom' repo (my package folder) in slapt-getrc is not working - 'can't find file'. So I did all upgrading from there manually. Whitch deepens my feeling that I really don't need Salix when I have my 'tuned' Slackware.

Otherways... CPU-usage tends to be 3-4% idle - too much.
But all-in-all - very good outcome. Even a bit better, missing-library-wise than real Slack. Congrats, Salix team.
And we'll see if new problems appear or not. If yes - there will be 'edit' here.

No comments: