Pages

2014-01-07

Tuning fonts

Not an essential thing - but..., well, better picture looks better.
Now, I did most tweaking in Slackware, and Debian differs.
Mind, very much of fighting with fonts is try-and-test. No 100% recipes here.

'Fontconfig warning: '/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.'
When starting some app from terminal, the previous message is not uncommon.
Essentially, it doesn't mean anything practical - for now. Simply, somewhere in future, fontconfig starts to search for things somewhere else. /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf specifies those 'future folders'. At least currently Slack doesn't have those folders. But whatever.

Here come some very useful links:
Console and more (Slackware)
Desktop and font substitution - both links are from Ubuntu, but it mostly is universalish... It's always a good idea to look into Archwiki.

# Console, and I am following the text of Slackware-link provided above:
Terminus font is good, do it. Console text gets ... much fuller-looking.
In netinstalled Debian, terminus is not installed by itself. But it is in repo.
I am not sure if Slacks' .bashrc  piece works in Debian... There are two other options: see here, or run following and make your choices:
dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

For checking what's your dpi: xdpyinfo | grep resolution
- I have gdm in Slack, so I added
0=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 96
to [server]-part of my /etc/gdm/custom.conf . Better (easier) to reboot for effect. And it worked.
As a comment - I had my Slackware console looking a bit ... chewed - textwise. It was exactly that dpi (somehow) was not proportional. The same (but worse) goes for Debian Sid.
- In Debian /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf are the patients:
The first one - outcomment and add to the end
xserver-command=X -dpi 96
The second one - has to have this:
xft-dpi=96

Adding more fonts (into separate folder): good, even super advice - do it like that in Slackware, it works. I haven't tried this in Debian(!).
Webcore-fonts and google-fonts are quite must - if nicer look is what you want.

# I am not vouching for various subpixel rendering stuff in this tutorial - I didn't try it yet. The same with 'Miscellaneous'. But - You try it it and advice me.

# Font substitutions. Following tutorial in Ubuntu forum I swapped Helvetica Neue to Lato (latofonts.com, its free). It worked for me, kinda (means, I am not very happy with this particular swap).
In Debian Sid you can't use ~/.fonts.conf, instead, the same stuff goes to /.config/font-master/local.conf
In Slack it can be in ~/.fonts.conf

# Fonts used on OB 'desktop': Two GUI-options are available, Obconf for menu and window titles, and Lxappearance for what is in those windows'.
After various combinations tried, I have settled with DejaVu , Droid and Arial (except terminal).
This, of course, is individual thing. Feel free to experiment.
It IS possible to get desktops' textwise appearance better.
The same with console - especially vanilla netinstalled Debian looks like shit in this department.

No comments: